[Israel.pm] Perl Advocacy

Gabor Szabo gabor at pti.co.il
Mon Dec 27 08:10:44 PST 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Offer Kaye wrote:

>> Worse than that there is no trim that would remove spaces from the
>> beginning and the end of a string.
>
> I didn't understand this, Gabor. Please explain.

I wrote this for educational reasons.
Thanks Dov for your solution.

another str_replace [1]

sub str_replace {
    my ($str, %map) = @_;
    $str =~ s/(.)/ defined $map{$1} ? $map{$1} : $1 /eg;
    return $str;
}

Every language has to decide what size are the building blocks it is
using and what is the level of abstraction. I think there is no right
or wrong way. They fit to a different audience and different purposes.

A a native Parrot programmer would say: Perl is just bloated.

BTW Is there a module Functions::PHP that exports those 3000 functions
PHP has ? If no such module, what about writing one ?

Gabor

[1] I fear the golfers now