[Israel.pm] Testing scripts

Offer Kaye offer.kaye at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 08:05:28 PST 2004

Hi,
I have a Perl script I would like to test.
So I started using Test::Simple and later moved to Test::More.
My problem is, all the documentation talks about testing modules and
it isn't clear to me how to test stuff like the output files and error
messages my script outputs.

Is there a standard framework for testing scripts?
Is there a standard way to compare an output file to an expected output file?
How do I easily catch the STDERR of an external call?
Anything else I'm missing?

P.S., if you want to give a lecture about testing Perl scripts during
YAPC, I for one would be very interested ;-)

Thanks,
--
Offer Kaye