[Israel.pm] mangled $_

Levenglick Dov-RM07994 DovL at freescale.com
Thu Dec 23 07:27:09 PST 2004

In YAPC::2004 a short presentation titled "A $_ gotcha" (http://www.perl.org.il/YAPC/2004/talk.html?id=20) has the answer (I think).
The presentation demonstrated that while for loops maintain scoping of $_, while loops don't.
The code is as follows:

sub capitalize_title {
 while ( $string =~ /$sentence_rule/g ) {
    for ($i ; ; ) {
       $_ = $word;   # following operations act on the current word
    }
}

I believe that this setting of $_ inside the while loop is the cause for your problem. If so - no, there is no way around it :(

Best Regards,
Dov Levenglick
[ ] General Business Information
[ ] Freescale Internal Use Only