[Israel.pm] (OT) Make file migration sanity check

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Wed Dec 22 09:00:18 PST 2004

Madani, Srikanth, VF-DE wrote:

>I run a large composite build on a Sun machine using gmake 3.79.1 on SunOS 5.8.
>I wish to migrate certain make files to another Sun machine, with virtually the same versions of third-party libraries etc.
>
>What kind of basic sanity check can I perform to see if the products linked as a result of the make file migration are "ok".
>
>Of course, all products will need to be tested as per the usual development life cycle (sub-system/system/volume etc.). However, before this effort is made, I wonder what rule-of-thumb can I apply before passing the products on/rolling back the make files migration.

The smug reply is, "you run your automatic tests again on the new
machine. You do
have automatic tests, don't you?". Of course, if you *don't* have
automatic tests, this
isn't immediately useful advice!

What kind of problems are you anticipating? What does the application
do? Checking
for build problems is relatively easy, and can be useful: if the build
is successful on the
new machine but comes with more warnings than it used to, this may
indicate some
problem.

It's hard to give more specific suggestions with so little knowledge,
though.

>At a first glance, I see that there is a considerable increase in file size of products.

Maybe your binaries aren't being stripped in the new machine.

Is the compiler environment different? Optimizer settings?

Gaal