[Israel.pm] (OT) Make file migration sanity check

Madani, Srikanth, VF-DE Srikanth.Madani at vodafone.com
Wed Dec 22 02:52:44 PST 2004

Hi all,

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I love Perl and use it everyday, and will probably do so in the matter described below too! :-)

I run a large composite build on a Sun machine using gmake 3.79.1 on SunOS 5.8.
I wish to migrate certain make files to another Sun machine, with virtually the same versions of third-party libraries etc.

What kind of basic sanity check can I perform to see if the products linked as a result of the make file migration are "ok".

Of course, all products will need to be tested as per the usual development life cycle (sub-system/system/volume etc.). However, before this effort is made, I wonder what rule-of-thumb can I apply before passing the products on/rolling back the make files migration.

At a first glance, I see that there is a considerable increase in file size of products.

Have posted to the gnu-utils forum too, but it is an awfully low traffic list.

Cheers,
Srikanth Madani
Düsseldorf
If you can lead it to water and force it to drink, it isn't a horse.