[Israel.pm] beginners oriented talk every month

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Mon Dec 13 07:24:47 PST 2004

Hello,

I would like to get as many responses as possible from as
many people on thi smailing list as possible regarding the
following suggestion:

If we were to have a regular talk on our monthly meetings
that was targeted at Perl beginners would you be
 	1. against it altogether
 	2. supporting it
 	3. supporting it as long as the talk is at the beginning
 	4. supporting it as long as the talk is at the end
 	5. it is better to have separate meetings for beginners

The general idea is to welcome more beginners to Perl and
support them by providing frontal lectures and a forum to
present their questions, get answers and meet other Perl
programmers.

I believe that we should find a way to do this as a part of
our monthly meetings. However, I fear that a talk for
beginners would drive away some of the "hard-core" Perl
mongers among us that regularly visit the meetings.

I think that the following structure for a regular monthly
meeting can be along the lines of:

18:00-18:30 - get-together and refreshments
18:30-19:30 - beginners talk
19:30-19:45 - break
19:45-20:45 - talk (any level)
20:45-21:00 - break
21:00-21:30 - short talk (any level)

Of course, the duration and number of the lectures may vary.

I think that this way, those arriving for the full session
will have a chance of meeting everyone, and those that
prefer non-beginner lectures can always show up later (we
will need to make sure that there are enough snacks for
those that arrive later...).

Please speck out.

--
Shlomo Yona