[Israel.pm] Joel on us

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Mon Dec 6 08:52:12 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 06:31:59PM +0200, Offer Kaye wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:34:03 +0200, Gaal Yahas wrote:
> > Also, you
> > would you use "because" in a translation of /`asa lo davka/?
> >

> I didn't mean to say "because" could be used in all cases - in most
> translations of expressions, there is usually no one word that can be
> used in every context. I think "because" fits several use cases. As
> for /asa lo davka/ - how about "acted in a contrary/difficult manner"?
> (choose one of contrary/difficult depending on the context)

Okay, but then Sapir-Whorf becomes even less relevant. For if you allow
a set of expressions, and then longer expressions, and then essays, to
stand in for the word in the other language, why then, the languages
aren't incommensurable, and you can't activate a strong version of SWH.
Or to put it the other way around, if SWH is true, then even whole
essays won't help non-Hebrew speakers to understand the meaning of
/davka/ -- but we haven't seen any evidence that that is the case.

> But we're OT, so lets drop it - not enough Perl here :-)

Yeah, I'll shut up now :)

(Anyone familiar with the philo-of-language side of the linguistic
relativism debate will recognize that the above was a feeble rendition
of Davidson, IIRC from "On the Very Idea of a Conceptual Scheme".)

--
Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/