[Israel.pm] Joel on us

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Mon Dec 6 05:34:03 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 03:01:30PM +0200, Offer Kaye wrote:
> > And this
> > short article has absolutely nothing in the way of evidence for the
> > declaration it makes.
>
> Not only that, I'm not even sure Joel is right. I would translate
> /Davka/ as "Because!". In fact, AFAIK young people in the U.S. use
> "because" in exactly the same sense (and tone of voice!) as Israelis
> do. Perhaps it is less prevalent, but it is still there.

The gloss is not perfect. /davka/ also functions as an auxillary to
/ken/ which renders it into something like French /si/. Also, you
would you use "because" in a translation of /`asa lo davka/?

> As for /Rosh Gadol/ - what's wrong with the word "initiative"? E.g.:

Register, as Uri notes; and also, there's an inescapable military
etymology that colors the darker ends of meaning of the phrase.

> ** Obligatory Perl reference (we have to tie this thread to Perl
> somehow :-)): The SWH also applies to programming languages:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapir-Whorf_and_programming_languages
> It says there "that programmers skilled in a certain programming
> language may not have a (deep) understanding of some concepts of other
> languages."
> I think that's one of the nice things about Perl - it encompases so
> many programming paradigms, a good Perl programmer doesn't treat every
> problem as a nail - instead, he uses Perl in the way which is most
> conductive to the problem at hand, without any artificial constraints.
> Just my 2 agorot worth :-)

For some value of "good", maybe :)

--
Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>