[Israel.pm] Joel on us

Uri Bruck bruck at actcom.net.il
Mon Dec 6 05:10:49 PST 2004

Offer Kaye wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:20:22 +0200, Gaal Yahas wrote:
>
>>>http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2004/12/04.html
>>
>>The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis
>

> Obligatory link:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapir-Whorf_hypothesis
>

>>And this
>>short article has absolutely nothing in the way of evidence for the
>>declaration it makes.
>

> Not only that, I'm not even sure Joel is right. I would translate
> /Davka/ as "Because!". In fact, AFAIK young people in the U.S. use
> "because" in exactly the same sense (and tone of voice!) as Israelis
> do. Perhaps it is less prevalent, but it is still there.
> As for /Rosh Gadol/ - what's wrong with the word "initiative"? E.g.:
"Initiative" is a higher register.
Some of the common suggestions I've seen to "rosh gadol" "rosh katan"
are "self starter" and "no starter" resepectively.

> "All I wanted to say was that methodologies encourage ראש קטן and I
> need everyone on my team to be ראש גדול."
>
> "All I wanted to say was that methodologies encourage a lack of
> initiative and I need everyone on my team to have initiative."
>
> * "Initiative" used here as a noun (from M-W): "2 : energy or aptitude
> displayed in initiation of action"
>
> ** Obligatory Perl reference (we have to tie this thread to Perl
> somehow :-)): The SWH also applies to programming languages:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapir-Whorf_and_programming_languages
> It says there "that programmers skilled in a certain programming
> language may not have a (deep) understanding of some concepts of other
> languages."
> I think that's one of the nice things about Perl - it encompases so
> many programming paradigms, a good Perl programmer doesn't treat every
> problem as a nail - instead, he uses Perl in the way which is most
> conductive to the problem at hand, without any artificial constraints.
> Just my 2 agorot worth :-)
OTOH, with such large scope one can get by with a subset of the
language, not necessarily venturing out to new paradigms. A paradigm you
know is like a comfortable shoe.

--
Thanks,
Uri