[Israel.pm] Python talk

Yuval Yaari yuval at windax.com
Mon Dec 6 05:15:04 PST 2004

I don't like the tone of this message, as some people already wrote:

>> Using Perl nowadays for any script over 100 lines is a crime.
>> Why use Perl when there's Python?

This sentence makes me fear the lecture.
It only shows that there is a bias towards Python, and that the
possible-speaker doesn't really pinpoint why, and just says "Python's
better than Perl" and that coding a >100 lines script in Perl is a
"crime" (nice selection of words, might I add).

>> I admit I still use Perl occasionally, but I feel guilty afterwards.
>> Programming Perl is a SIN!

Again.
Instead of saying that it's a sin (what the...?), he could've explained why.
And Liraz: if you feel guilty afterwards, don't write in Perl. Really.
Or better ask: why are you still coding in Perl?
I hope the lecture wouldn't be like this, because I think I speak for us
all when I say that we're fed up with "Python is better than Perl
because I said so" arguments.

>> I'd like to come over and do a presentation about that, if you'll
>> accept an ex-Perl devotee, now a Python zealot.
>

> Shall we invite Liraz to give a talk on one of the meetings ?
> To YAPC::Israel::2005 ?

One of the meetings = yes (in case the guy has good valid points, which
is not implied from his e-mail), YAPC = no.
Python on YAPC is blasphemous, even if the lecture wouldn't seem like
plain unbased Python zealotry :)

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to sin and write in Perl, and feel
guilty afterwards.

  --Yuval