[Israel.pm] Python talk

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Dec 6 02:39:06 PST 2004

On Sunday 05 December 2004 21:27, Uri Bruck wrote:
> I'd be interested in hearing such a talk, provided the format allows
> room for discussion. That suggests one of the monthky meetings rather
> than YAPC. I find the tone of the message slightly disturbing, though.

Uri, you've hit the nail right on the spot. I had the same feeling towards the
message as well.

I should note that I've done some programming in Python, and found that I like
it less than Perl. A lot of the small-scope constructs that Perl provides
(like next/last LABEL or here-documents) are not provided, operators are
overloaded to insanity (+ is numeric addition, string concatenation and array
concatenation; likewise for * for multiplication/repetition), and lots of
things require object using the dot operator for method call.

All in all, it feels less natural to me and stricter than using Perl.

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il