[Israel.pm] Python talk

Offer Kaye offer.kaye at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 06:30:06 PST 2004

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 14:51:49 +0200 (IST), Gabor Szabo <gabor at perl.org.il> wrote:

> > I'd like to come over and do a presentation about that, if you'll
> > accept an ex-Perl devotee, now a Python zealot.
>
> Shall we invite Liraz to give a talk on one of the meetings ?
> To YAPC::Israel::2005 ?

Short answer:
Just my opinion, I don't mind hearing this talk, but I think one of
our monthly meetings would be a better venue for that, where we can
actually have a good discussion with Liraz.

Longer answer:
I always thought that the role of Israel.pm in general, and
YAPC::Israel in particular, is to promote Perl in Israel. Simply
hearing a lecture about why Python is better than Perl, without the
ability to respond and discuss the points raised (and there is really
no such option at the YAPC lectures) will do nothing to promote Perl.
If enough people are interested, perhaps we can have some sort of
debate, or open round-table, during YAPC, instead of a lecture? We
could pit Ran Eilam(1) vs. Liraz Siri, with the audience contributing
questions and comments. That I think would be better than just a
simple lecture promoting Python. For that I suggest you refer Liraz to
the the upcoming Israeli Python Conference... ;-)

(1) As an example - replace with an experienced Monger of your choice.

--
Offer Kaye