[Israel.pm] web-based script

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Tue Aug 31 05:07:00 PDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Yuval Yaari wrote:

> This can all be done from the shell.
> And as much as I like to write Perl -- I'd rather use already-written tools.
>
>>  	[in the browser]
>>  	* goto url x.y.z
>>  	* login (username+password) [1]
>
> This can be done with wget and/or lwp-request and/or curl.

I was hoping for a snippet...
I guess I'll RTFM...

>>  	<new page>
>>  	* select a radio button
>>  	* select another radio button
>>  	* hit submit
>
> Can you emulate this by hacking the URL?
> Otherwise you can use WWW::Mechanize (which means you will write code, but
> it's easy).

No. It is all based on POST.

>>  	<wait for a download of a HUGE (over 100 mg) file>

I anticipate problems here due to time-outs.
How can this be controlled?

>>  	[in the shell prompt]
>>  	* run a script on the downloaded file
>>  	<new file produced>
>>  	* copy the new file to some directory
>
> Of course, this is basic.
>
>>  	* synchronize the directory with its mirror on another server
>>  	* run another script that compiles something out of the file
>>  	<after a few hours of processing a new file is created>
>>  	* sftp the file to server A
>>  	* ssh to server C
>>  	* ssh from C to server B
>>  	* sftp from server B to server A and get the new file
>>  	* chmod the file on server B as it should be
>>  	DONE
>
> Rsync runs over SSH, and can be used with SSH keys.

Don't I need a Rsync server at the other end? If I do...
then I'm screwed because there isn't one...

> That means you can sync the directory, run scripts, chmod, etc.
> I wrote a backup script for my former company that backs things up over
> SSH using rsync and also chmods stuff.

I might email you with some queries then...

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
http://cs.haifa.ac.il/~shlomo/