[Israel.pm] character semantics

Offer Kaye offer.kaye at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 06:15:35 PDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:41:57 +0300 (IDT), Shlomo Yona wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 'perldoc perlunicode' lists several character classes, for
> example:

[snip]

> Where are the actual characters being listed?
> I mean -- how can I know which characters make up
> Punctuation?
>
> --
> Shlomo Yona

You can find the actual characters in the Unicode standard- the above
(long format) names are just the Unicode names with dashes and spaces
removed. Specifically, perldoc perlunicode says:

           The official Unicode script and block names have spaces and dashes
           as separators, but for convenience you can use dashes, spaces, or
           underbars, and case is unimportant. It is recommended, however,
           that for consistency you use the following naming: the official
           Unicode script, property, or block name (see below for the addi-
           tional rules that apply to block names) with whitespace and dashes
           removed, and the words "uppercase-first-lowercase-rest". "Latin-1
           Supplement" thus becomes "Latin1Supplement".

Hope this helps :-)
--
Offer Kaye