[Israel.pm] Arch version control and open source sites

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Sun Aug 29 18:41:48 PDT 2004

On 30 Aug 2004 02:38:11 +0300, Kfir Lavi wrote:

> in Source Forge the site use CVS for the project.
> Is there a site like sf.net that the version control system is ARCH?

gna.org hosts arch archives. There is also sourcecontrol.net, you may ask
its sysadmin to create you an account intended for your arch archives.

But, since unlike cvs and svn, arch does not really need any special
server, you may host your archives on any system you have ssh access to,
even on sourceforge.net. The public location (that you give to others)
of your archive could be:

  http://yourproject.sf.net/archives/kfirlavi@actcom.co.il--main

and the private read/write archive location of the same archive may be
(I don't remember the exact sourceforge layout) something like:

  sftp://kfir@sf.net/y/yo/yourproject/archives/kfirlavi@actcom.co.il--main

Of course, once registered you don't really see the location anywhere,
you operate on the logical archive name kfirlavi at actcom.co.il--main only.
And this name may be skipped as well if you make it the default archive.

  tla make-archive -l kfirlavi at actcom.co.il--main sftp://kfir@sf.net/...
  tla my-default-archive ...
  tla archive-setup ...

These initial commands are from any arch tutorial. We executed them in
the demo. Except that we used a local directory, not a remote sftp://.
Alternativelly, experiment with the local system first, it is faster,
and later transfer your archive(s) to sourceforge or another place.

Regards,
Mikhael.