[Israel.pm] gimatria

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Thu Aug 26 10:32:17 PDT 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Anatoly Vorobey wrote:

> If you google on 'gematria' (note the spelling), you'll find several
> general-purpose pages. Add a relatively advanced term to the search
> (such as 'filling' or 'milui') to find some more advanced pages.

Yes. Problem is that they are about "the value of words as
numbers" and I'm more interested to build an application
that recognizes and generates properly the uses of gematria
for representing days of the months and numbering in general
(e.g. numbering book pages).

>> I'm looking for something more detailed than just the
>> mapping of alphabet letters to numbers, I'm looking for the
>> rules that explain  what is a valid representation of a
>> number in Hebrew letters.
>
> There are some examples here:
> http://www.inner.org/gematria/gematria.htm

Yes. This is an example of what I don't need. This discusses
the ways to calculate value of Hebrew words.

> In general, since people interested in gematria have traditionally been
> converting words to numbers rather than vice versa, there is no single
> rule for "what is a valid representation of a number in Hebrew letters"
> as far as gematria is concerned. Every possible word has a numeric
> value, and what more, several of them (with "filling", under different
> systems, under different representations of the terminal letters).

I don't agree.
For book page numbering as for numbering the days of the
month it seems that the order is something as follows:
 	every letter must weigh equal or less than the
 	weight of the previous letter.

> AFAIK, if you're going from a number to a word: 1) if less than a
> thousand, start with the hundreds, using an additional tav (400) if
> necessary, then tens and singles. Avoid 10+ combinations for numbers 15
> and 16, use 9+ combinations instead (this is done to avoid producing
> sacred combinations of letters reminiscent of the Tetragrammaton). If
> you have thousands, this is a
> year number, and it's the current millennium, just omit them; otherwise
> write out thousands and higher digits as a separate word beforehand.

Yes. I think that this pretty much fits to the principle I
wrote above, that you start with the heavy letters and work
yourself down until you end up with the desired sum.

Now, I wonder if there's a regular expression for this.

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
http://cs.haifa.ac.il/~shlomo/