[Israel.pm] Creating image thumbnails

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Sun Apr 25 04:05:16 PDT 2004

On 25 Apr 2004 11:58:03 +0200, Ran Eilam wrote:

> These are some questions for a friend who wants to create image
> thumbnails and is considering Perl:
>
> 1) What is the best, simplest, module for doing this?

I do not use perl for this, it is just a matter of writting (without
much thinking) a "for" command in the shell prompt, like this (zsh):

  mkdir thumb
  for image in *.png; do
    convert -geometry 30%x30% $image thumb/$image:r.jpg
  done

> 2) Why do some thumbnail generators produce better quality output than
> others?

Well, even the same image conventer may produce different quality images,
for example these outputs will be different:

  % convert -quality 100 -contrast -geometry 300x200 input.png output.jpg
  % convert +contrast +contrast -geometry 300x200 input.png output.jpg

Regards,
Mikhael.