[Israel.pm]perl/tk as abase to large application

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Wed Apr 21 00:03:52 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 09:35:50AM +0300, Itamar Elem wrote:
> gal thank for the fast response.
> 1.do you know why to prefare gtk over perl/tk
> 2. how to install it on windows

1. GTK is an excellent full GUI toolkit that is under constant development
   by some of the best UI people in the free software world. It has many
   more features than Tk while not being significantly harder to learn
   or to write for. For example, GTK features Pango, a multilingual
   text renderer and layout engine; your applications will not only
   work in other languages, they will also look beautiful in them. More
   information on GTK is found at <http://www.gtk.org/>.

2. Unfortunately I never worked on Windows porting for GTK applications
   myself, so I don't know the details. I can tell you that GTK itself
   works more or less completely on Windows[1], but once again I'm not
   sure about the perl bindings. Take a look at this page:

        http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wayne.keenan/gtk/

   It has binary modules for ActivePerl.

[1] One area I remember there were problems in was multi-head displays,
    that is, computers with more than one monitor attached.

--
Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/