[Israel.pm] Installer for a Perl and Web Meta Language based program.

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Thu Apr 15 01:31:36 PDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 07:12:58AM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> > Well pardon me, but I'd rather spend my energy on the art of programming,
> > not the art of twiddling configuration macros.
>
> I think this is usually a problem of small projects only, with one-two
> programmers. There is a good division of labor in large popular projects,
> where programmers writting the actual code do not usually perform
> configuration/distribution/graphic design/documentation and similar work.
> Of course, having universal developers is a good solution too.
>
> I mean, if your project is very new and useful, then just wait for
> someone to add autoconf stuff or even man pages. Or learn how to do this
> yourself if you don't want to wait. The problem that auto-tools help to
> solve (build/install smoothly on every unix-like system) is very hard,
> there is no and never will be fully automagical solution.

I appreciate the fact that it's a hard problem. I grant that the tool does
the job, and that I don't know of any competitors that do it better. Of
course some people may be wiling to tackle it instead of me.

And all this does little to assuage its suck. The fact that YOU don't
want to be a graphic designer doesn't eclipse the designer's desire for
a fair tool for THEIR problems.

Come on, call autom4te.cache svelte. I dare you.

--
Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/