[Israel.pm] XML Validation in Perl (fwd)

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Apr 11 03:21:46 PDT 2004

On Sunday 11 April 2004 12:44, Shlomo Yona wrote:
> Oh!
>
> One more issue on this subject, which might be a bit
> offtopic, so I apologize in advance:
>
> I've been getting a lot of comments from users of the XML
> Schema's and instances I produce that working with the XML
> Schema is problematic and that I'd be better off using RELAX
> NG schemas instead of the W3C XML Schema schemas.
>
> Can any of you comment on this? What is the status in
> current open source projects? Which schema is being used the
> W3C schemas, the RELAX NG schemas? Something else?

Well, XML Schema was proposed by W3C while Relax NG was proposed by Oasis
Open, as a somewhat anti-thesis to the complexity of XML Schema. There are
other similar technologies like Schematron.

> And finally, is there any support to RELAX NG schamas in XML
> parsers supported in Perl?

libxml should support Relax NG, and it has Perl bindings (XML::LibXML). There
may also be other things like that. (look at CPAN).

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il