[Israel.pm] XML Validation in Perl

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Apr 11 03:19:17 PDT 2004

On Sunday 11 April 2004 12:38, Shlomo Yona wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder if anyone on the mailing list has experience with
> XML validation against an XML Schema using Perl.
>
> I am specifically looking for the following functionality:
>
> 1. Validating my XML Schema instance against the XML Schema
> format (http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema).
> 2. Validation an XML instance against my XML schema.
>
> For the 1st task, I don't really require a Perl solution as
> I only need it during development/
>
> I am specifically interested in using XML::Twig but I
> couldn't do any of the above tasks using that tool.
>
> Another problem/restriction I have is that the solution
> shouldn't require Java, and instead can be easily installed
> by a user (not necessarily root), built and used.
>
> Looking forward to your input.
> Thanks.

Well, XML Schema is from what I understood a very complex and controversial
standard. As a result, many XML APIs don't have a full support for it. One
API that supports XML Schema Part 1 and XML Schema Part 2 is the C++-based
Xerces-C:

http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/index.html

It has perl bindings:

http://xml.apache.org/xerces-p/index.html

They are dated for version 2.3.0 while there's already version 2.5.0. (and
when I used Berkeley dbxml it required version 2.4.x).

You can also bind the most up to date API using SWIG or something.

I'm not aware of any other good solution. libxml does not support XML Schema
yet. (albeit such support is planned eventually).

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il