[Perl] Introduction to Rindolf - a Perl.com Feature

Offer Kaye oferk at oren.co.il
Sat Sep 28 23:59:45 PDT 2002

"What is Rindolf", paragraph 2:
The Problem: "(i.e.: Unicode)." - what you meant to say was "for example:
Unicode."
The Solution: Replace with "(e.g.: Unicode)."

"The Competition", paragraph 1:
The Problem: "(soon, I hope ) Arc" - unnecessary space between the hope and
closing ")"
The Solution: Replace with "(soon, I hope) Arc"

The Problem: "concerned. (with ... concerned)" - misplaced period
The Solution: Replace with "concerned (with ... concerned)."

"The Competition", paragraph 2:
The Problem: "At the moment, we are still the dominant." - syntax
The Solution: Replace with "At the moment, we are still dominant."

The Problem: "But some people are unnecessary having to code" - typo
The Solution: Replace with "But some people are unnecessarily having to
code"

The Problem: "This is now entirely unfounded "  - typo
The Solution: Replace with "This is not entirely unfounded "

"The Competition", paragraph 3:
The Problem: Various.
The Solution: Replace with-
"When facing competition, the important thing to admit is that it may be
doing something better than you do. But it is also important to realize what
isn't your competition. Java isn't. C++ isn't. Haskell and O'Caml aren't.
Like it or not, dynamically typed languages are here to stay, and I predict
(I may be wrong :-)) that they are going to be the general purpose languages
of the future."

"The Enemy", paragraph 1:
The Problem: "Our Enemy is ourselves" - unnecessary capitol letter in middle
of sentence
The Solution: Replace with "Our enemy is ourselves"

The Problem: "That's milliards of dollars worth "
The Solution: Replace with "That's billions of dollars worth "

"Is Backward Compatibility Considered Harmful?"
The Problem: "Backward Compatibility is " - unnecessary capitol letter in
middle of sentence
The Solution: Replace with "Backward compatibility is "

The Problem: "your users' best friend. And you have to take the users' " -
1. the word should be "users" in bot cases. 2. NEVER (well, almost never
:-)) use "and" at the beginning of a sentence.
The Solution: Replace with "your users best friend, and you have to take the
users "

The Problem: "And I also happen to like Perl 5."
The Solution: Replace with "Plus, I also happen to like Perl 5."

"A Basic File Primitive"
The Problem: "Rindolf will sport the existence "
The Solution: Replace with "Rindolf will support the existence "

The Problem: "Note that it is intended for those who are doing extensions
and should not be used by mundane people, nor would it be very usable this
way" - "mundane people" as opposed to "magical people" like say Harry
Potter? ;-) Also, what do you mean by "this way"?
The Solution: Replace with something clearer.

"Blocks"
The Problem: "defined functions. (accum " - unnecessary period
The Solution: Replace with "defined functions (accum "

*********************************
Some more comments:
1. The page ends somewhat abruptly. How about adding a section at the end
that says "For more info, go to bal-bla.com , or join the Rindolf mailing
list at "more-bla-bal.com". Add a link to Rindolf's home page, any currently
written spec., your email for feedback- that kind of stuff :-).

2. Your first sentence says "Rindolf is a Perl 5 derived dialect of Perl
that is fully backward-compatible with Perl 5." Yet in
"http://use.perl.org/features/02/02/13/1959233.shtml?tid=14" you say
"Rindolf will not be backward compatible to Perl 5". Care to explain this
contradiction?

3. All in all, nice work :-)

Hope this helps :-)
Offer Kaye