[Perl] Next Perl lecture - sort

Gabor Szabo gabor at tracert.com
Sat Sep 21 13:28:53 PDT 2002

Shlomo Yona wrote:
> Hello.
>
> October's meeting/lecture.
>
> I can give a lecture about 'sort in Perl'.
>
> The tentative outline of the lecture is:
> * What is sorting?
> * Where can sorting be useful?
> * Which sort is implemented in Perl, why and how it works
> * Numeral sorting and Lexicographical sorting
> * Feeling comfortable with 'map' and 'grep' before we go on
> * Customized sorting (Sort by any criteria you want)
> * Sorting elements in complex data structures.
> * The Schwartzian Transform
> * Discussion
>
> I would rather give the lecture in Haifa,
> (same place as last week) but I can be
> talked into giving it in Tel-Aviv (Raz systems)
> as well.
>
> When should this lecture take place? How about October 3rd?
> Any suggestions for the lecture on 'sort'?

Shlomo,
sort is great idea and for me 3/10 is OK even though I thought about
10/10. Naturally my preference is TA, or Modiin :-)
Anyone else has an opinion regarding the date and the place or are we
going to decide with Shlomo ?

Regarding sort, look at Perl 5.8 as sort has changed there. Now it is
another sorting implemented but the details I leave as an exercise for
you :-)
You should also look at the sort module so we can talk about differences
between Perl 5.6 and 5.8 !

regards
-- Gabor