[Perl] Perl course in Haifa

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Tue Sep 17 08:48:43 PDT 2002

Hello.

After Sukot I will start teaching in Haifa a Perl
course, from the very basics (3-4 first lectures
which will probably take place within the first
one or two weeks of the course) then moving to
a once-a-week lecture every week a different topic such as:

	- Perl for getting information from the internet
	- Perl for building CGI applications
	- Perl for natural language processing
	- Perl for bioinformatics
	- Perl for unix users
	- Perl in Windows
	- Building and maintaining a CPAN Perl module
	- Perl and localization/internationalization
	- Regular expressions in Perl - hard core
	.
	.
	.

The idea is to show the audience how Perl can be used
in many fields of practice and research. Optionally,
depending on the audience the course can focus on certain
diciplines where Perl can be used to help make life easier.

The 'usual' Perl Mongers meetings can optionally overlap
with this course.

The course itself will be given in Haifa university at
	The Caesarea Edmond Benjamin de Rothschild Foundation Institute
	for Interdisciplinary Applications of Computer Science

Preliminaries:
	* People are expected to have some experience with some programming language
	This will not be a course that teaches programming as a practice but rather
	demonstrate concepts and problems and how they can be easily solved in Perl.
	The course is ment to expose people to Perl and serve, after a while, as
	perhaps a Haifa chapter of Perl Mongers.

I'd love to get some ideas and references to resources (I already have Shlomi
Fish's lecture notes).

Thanks.

--
Shlomo Yona