[Perl] "Reply-To" Munging

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Mon Sep 9 10:23:38 PDT 2002

On 09 Sep 2002 22:25:33 +0300, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
>
> > I didn't really want to write anything to this list until I have a good
> > chance to, but it forces the Reply-To: header. :-) I think it's not good.
> >
> >   http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>
> And here is the article that explains why it is a good idea :-)
>
>   http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml

Nice parody. :) I may denounce all it's points, but I will not do this.

> In any case one has to decide between the two approaches
> and I have decided in favor of the Reply-To: going to the list.
>
> After all this is what a dictator is for....

No problems with this. Usually it takes one or several dictator's private
messages to be sent to the public list for him to correct this error. :)
Or receiving private messages to the dictotor's From: address (that may be
on a random machine he is writting from) instead of the real Reply-To: one.
BTW, when I first read the first url 4 years ago, I though the author is
overreacting, I changed my mind completely since then. ;-)

Regards,
Mikhael.