[Perl] Making a Perl interface to C code

David Baird dbaird at qualcomm.com
Wed Sep 4 03:22:43 PDT 2002

I just saw Gabor today, and so as my first contribution to this mail list,
I'd like to thank him for setting up this forum for Perl mongers in Israel.

I am in a project where we started using Inline about a month ago. We
abandoned Swig, which we used for a few years, because it had no
official support of Perl 5.6 for Windows (although I did patch it to
work with ActiveState Perl 5.6).

We are working on the very issue of packaging our module for use on a
lab computer with no compiler installed. Shlomo, if you do decide to
use Inline, I can elaborate on our current solution.

Just for your own info, our current configuration with Inline is:

OS: Windows 2000
Perl: ActiveState Perl 5.6.1 Build 633
Inline: 0.43
Inline-CPP: 0.24 (plus some fixes for MSVC)
Compiler: MSVC 6.0 SP5

Our module C++ source links with two external libraries, and of
course include files.

On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 12:46:46 +0300, Gaal Yahas wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 12:22:47PM +0300, Shlomo Yona wrote:
> > I the sources to some data structure implemented in ANSI-C.
> >
> > I would like to make a Perl Module which enables usage of this
> > data structure implementation in Perl.
> >
> > How do I do this?

> Look into the Inline module from CPAN and possibly bundled with new
> Perls. It's neat:

.
.
.