[Perl] authentication on Linux

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at technion.ac.il
Sun Oct 20 00:54:28 PDT 2002

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> While running as a regular user (a web server)
> how can I check if a given username and password is correct on a given
> linux box if that linux box uses yellow pages for authentication ?
>
> how can I change password of any user ?
>
> And what is the prefered way to do this from Perl ?

There is something called "mod_auth_pam" . I don't think it is included in
the standard apache distro, though. It is mentioned as the WrongThing
somewhere in the apache faq, for security reasons...

I think this should solve the authentication problem on linux, solaris (7,
8, 9?) and FreeBSD (I don't remember as of which version).

As for password changing: I'm not sure. But look in the direction of pam
as well.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:tzafrir at technion.ac.il