[Perl] London.pm

Offer Kaye oferk at oren.co.il
Tue Nov 19 08:03:19 PST 2002

Actually, I don't think we are doing too bad.

Consider the following. According to:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/europe/london/index.htm
there are 12 million people in London.
According to:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/is.html
there are 6 million people in Israel.

For the mailing lists, the subscribers ratio is 300/70 = about 4.3
For the monthly meetings, the people ratio is 50/10 = 5

Considering the fact that almost certainly it is harder for significant
populations in Israel to come to the meetings, due for example to sheer
distance (compared to a Londoner traverling to a meeting), this explains the
higher ratio of the meetings vs. the mailing lists.

So taking the mailing list ratio, 12/4.3 gives an "effective" (for Perl
mailing list purposes) population of 2.8 million people. Considering the
difference that in a city the population is more likely to be tech-savvy
than in an entire country, especially one with the demographics of Israel
(settlers, farmers, many small rural settelments and orthodox jews), I would
say that taking half the entire population of Israel would be fair. So 6/2=3
million, which is quite close to the 2.8 million above.

So to summerize, we can safely conjecture that of the 6 million people in
Israel, we should consider only 3 million for the purposes of comparison vs.
London.pm. This comparison would yield:
Israel Perl mailing list: 3e6/70 = 42.857e3 [people/subscriber]
London Perl mailing list: 12e6/300=40e3 [[people/subscriber]

So as you can see, the adjusted ratio is almost the same, which explains
(and justifies) my first sentence :-)

All the above is not to say we should not wish to increase the activity in
Israel of Perl, but that costs money, and anyway, in a year where COMDEX
attendance is the lowest ever (http://www.sys-con.com/java/comdex/) and the
organizing corporation of COMDEX may file for bankruptcy right after the
show (http://news.walla.co.il/ts.cgi?tsscript=item&path=4&id=310097), I
don't think we should expect too much or aim too high.

Hope this helps :-)
Offer Kaye