[Perl] Designing the Ultimate Presentation Tool

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at technion.ac.il
Wed Nov 13 07:03:55 PST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Shlomo Yona wrote:

> Currently I have to copy paste the text which is common in those partial
> slides.
>
> An improvement would be to be able to write only one - full - slide and
> mark the parts which should appeare on the next key stroke.
> My 'release' script could then create the separate HTML file.
> This is pure server side solution.

There is a long tradition of html pre-processors, because of the problem
of replicating all the data and formatting in HTML files (css only solves
this very partially).

> Another solution would be instead of splitting the file using differenc
> css files and setting the forground color to the same as the background
> for the texts which are to be delayed.
> This is a client side solution using css and Javascript.

Or or the server using, e.g., perl. (in advance). There are several such
existing tools

> I tried and it worked on Mozilla but of course this might break in a lot
> of browsers.
>

> Reading you e-mail again, I think this is the same you wrote just in
> fewer lines :-()
>
> BTW I have seen a solution with Perl/Tk as well but that one does not use
> HTML.

And perl+tk+perl/tk must be installed.

An alternative media is PDF. Acrobat reader is quite common and can be
used for presentations. It is a bad previewwer, though.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:tzafrir at technion.ac.il
http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir