[Perl] Designing the Ultimate Presentation Tool

Gabor Szabo gabor at tracert.com
Wed Nov 13 06:49:43 PST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Shlomo Yona wrote:

> > See the first three slides in my presenation:
> > http://pti.co.il/talks/Presentation/author.html
> >
> > now I had to create 3 separate html files with a lot of
> > duplicated text.
> >
> > This is very powerful for giving presentations.
> > (less important in lectures but in the Fundamentals materials
> > I wanted to use them so I can ask questions in the middle of
> > a page and the reveal the answer in the same page just with the
> > next click. (now they are usually in (hint: solution)  format).
>
> Unless you do some differential HTTP, I can't see how you can do this
> without several HTML files (or one HTML file, with some client-side
> code to hide/show the rest of the page).

Currently I have to copy paste the text which is common in those partial
slides.

An improvement would be to be able to write only one - full - slide and
mark the parts which should appeare on the next key stroke.
My 'release' script could then create the separate HTML file.
This is pure server side solution.

Another solution would be instead of splitting the file using differenc
css files and setting the forground color to the same as the background
for the texts which are to be delayed.
This is a client side solution using css and Javascript.
I tried and it worked on Mozilla but of course this might break in a lot
of browsers.

Reading you e-mail again, I think this is the same you wrote just in
fewer lines :-()

BTW I have seen a solution with Perl/Tk as well but that one does not use
HTML.