[Perl] Designing the Ultimate Presentation Tool

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Tue Nov 12 23:56:59 PST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> > This is a great feature, that due to my ignorance my tool lacks.
> > PLEASE PLASE teach me how to do this (without me needing to reimplement
> > a syntax highlighter myself). :-)
> >

> First of all "man enscript" will tell you how to convert code to HTML
> using enscript. There is a command line syntax in ViewCVS. Secondly, there
> is a gvim command line that does it. (which is different for UNIX and
> Win32): Ira Abramov once gave it once in a Linux-IL post:
>
> gvim -f gen_makefile.pl -c ':so $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/2html.vim' -c ':wq' -c
> ':wq'
>
> Note that it creates <font> stuff that has to be converted to <span style>
> if you want it to be X/HTML. I have a script that does it at home.
>
> So far I did it manually, but maybe I'll write something to cache the
> syntax highlighted and render it.

This is good stuff.
I'll incorporate it at once to my presenter.
Thanks.

> I liked PerlPoint because it was very brief. WML supports putting input in
> other formats such as POD or SDF, and can convert it to HTML. I can write
> such plug-ins for other languages.

Using POD is clever, as POD converts nicely to other formats using existing tools
you get with Perl.

> > > 9. Point by point formation. (like Gabor wanted)

Useful.
Mine does not support that - but it's a fancy feature I
prefered not to implement.
In general, I dislike fancy features...
Still, its quite trivial to implement such a thing,

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
http://cs.haifa.ac.il/~shlomo/