[Perl] Designing the Ultimate Presentation Tool

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Tue Nov 12 22:14:52 PST 2002

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> 1. Renders into a nice directory structure a la quad-pres (with dirs,
> sub-dirs, up, down, next, prev work nicely, etc.).

Mine has this.

> 2. Fully standards compliant - X/HTML 1.0 Strict with CSS and good link
> rel.

Mine does this.

> 3. Can generate DocBook format out of the well-formed HTML. (to satisfy
> DocBook lovers.)

Hmmm....
Good idea.
Mine does not support this (yet).

Does DocBook support mathematical notations?
If it does - how does this display as HTML?
Which fonts are used?

> 4. Several viewing modes: static HTML pages, all-in-one-page, dynamically
> by CGI, local on a hard disk.

Mine does this.

> 5. Automatic Syntax Highlighting via gvim, a2ps and similar tools.

This is a great feature, that due to my ignorance my tool lacks.
PLEASE PLASE teach me how to do this (without me needing to reimplement
a syntax highlighter myself). :-)

> 6. Input can be written in HTML, WebMetaLanguage, PerlPoint and similar
> formats.

Mine supports:
	1. HTML (any version)
	2. My own metalanguage.

> 7. Easy optional integration with Subversion (and assuming it becomes
> free enough) BitKeeper.

What are those?

> 8. WML - gives custom tags custom templates, etc.

Please explain.

> 9. Point by point formation. (like Gabor wanted)

What is this?

> 10...Inf - what you suggest.

Keep it simple syntax.
Or, at least allow minimal syntax for presentations.
One of the problems with existing tools is that the syntax and working
method is too complex, and you need to know a lot even just to create
the most modest presentation.

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il