[Perl] Sending emails

Reuven M. Lerner reuven at lerner.co.il
Sun Nov 10 06:45:59 PST 2002

    Shlomo> I wonder if experienced users can suggest a preferable way
    Shlomo> of sending mail from Perl scripts.

I generally use Mail::Sendmail, available on CPAN.  I'm not sure how
efficient it is, but the API is ridiculously simple.

    Shlomo> I need to be able to specify sender, recipient,
    Shlomo> attachments, and of course message body and a subject.

If you want to send attachments, then you might want to look into
Mail::Sender.  This seems to be the module that many people use to
send attachments and other complex documents.  Unfortunately, I've
found the documentation for Mail::Sender to be very hard to
understand.  In particular, the code samples are written in a very
weird syntax.

But hey, it's still better than invoking the command-line "mail"
program via system()...

Reuven