[Perl] Report on the meeting on 7th November

Shlomi Fish shlomif at vipe.stud.technion.ac.il
Fri Nov 8 22:23:08 PST 2002

A few notes:

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> Hi there,
> I am quit tired as I was working till 2am after the meeting.
> I have uploaded 2 book reviews on the web (of Shlomo and mine)
> http://www.perl.org.il/bookreviews/
> and then tried to get more books from Manning. We'll see.
> Actualy I think you can write reviews about other books as well
> not only about the books in the library. Go ahead.
> So here we go with the report.
> I got to Interbit quite early (around 5) because I did not have my
> slides ready yet for my second presentation, I wanted to write them
> there. In the end I did not have the energy to write them, instead
> bought some bourekas and other refreshment. I think it was better than
> my second presentation would have been :-)
> Then around 6 Shlomi came and slowly other people arrived.
> We were 13 this time and at the peak these people were present,
> some of them for the first time.
> Pinkhas Nisanov
> Shlomi Fish
> Gabor Szabo
> Sagi Mehadave
> Offer Kaye
> Semuel Vomberg
> Reuven Lerner
> Uri Itscowits
> Yuli Stremovsky
> Yuval Yaari
> Jaime Prilusky
> Mark Veltzer
> Oded Reznik
> Shlomi kept on explaining his projects to us, about
> Joel on software http://www.joelonsoftware.com/ , Open Source
> CM tools and what not.

We also talked about MySQL vs. PostgreSQL, and about how many applications
out there are written specifically for MySQL and cannot work on anything
else. Then I noted, that if Oracle, for example, wants to make use of this
code they may need to make a MySQL emulation layer.

I then talked about ISG Navigator which is a database middleware that can
query data from tables found across several databases (of possibly
different vendors) with a unified SQL. Some people were not impressed as I
am from it.

> The discussions were very lively but I could not follow most.
> Anyway I talked to Jaime who runs Rehovot.pm . I am glad he
> joined us and I hope with his help we'll be able to further
> enlarge our community.
> It seems (as others also report) that with all the investment in
> sending info to mailing list the biggest number of new people
> came via our 'friend brings a friend' project. Never heard about it ?
> Then the second place are the various news groups and web sites.
> So at 7 Yoav from Interbit welcomed us and told us about what they
> do at Interbit.
> Then Shlomi said a few words about the 'Mastering Algorithms with Perl'
> book he reviews earlier (see http://www.perl.org.il/bookreviews/ )
> and went on with the presentation of Quad-Pres his presentation tool.
> He asked me to press the 'next' link while he is talking - I think this
> is a major drawback of QP.

I don't see why. You have to signal the presentation to move to the next
slide _somehow_. I could have done it myself, but I would rather someone
else set at the computer. That's how it is done many times in the Haifa
Linux Club.

> In the second presentation Gabor talked about
> 'The Nameless Slide Creator'.
> I enjoyed it very much. :-)
> Some questions arised regarding why the hell did I write it
> at the first place when there are more than 30 tools available
> out there. I guess the manuals were too long for me and while I
> knew more or less (mainly less) what do I need I though finding
> out which one out of the 30+ will be able to give an answer to all
> my requirements. (not that they are so complex)
> After my presentation we turned on the lights so people will wake
> up and finished all the remaining bourekas while evryone tried
> to convince the rest of the crowd that he knows the best and ultimate
> tool for presentations. As Shlomi puts it 'the category killer'.

I actually borowwed the term from Eric Raymond's CatB:

Like I said if you did not read ESR's CatB series so far - you should. It
changed my life<tm>.

> After the break Reuven, as usual, gave a great presentation starting
> with mod_perl and finishing with mod_perl. In between he talked about
> Maison and the 'presentation tool' he wrote which is a very simple
> Maison application.

> Of course in order to use it you need a web server
> mod_perl and Maison installed which are not yet standard but as he
> pointed out he does not leave his house without mod_perl anyway so
> that's not a problem.
> Then Shlomi quickly gave another presentation he prepared
> (thanks Shlomi) Perl Point he downloaded from somewhere.

I think it's PerlPoint and it's available from CPAN.

> After that Mark got up and told us about DocBook which if I
> understood correctly is basically an XML file with its
> own DTD and with lots of 'backends' that can present the information
> in all kinds of format like HTML or PDF or Idontknowwhat.

DocBook rocks, but I'm still not sure it has all the features present in
all the tools out there. (or those that were presented by us)

> Library:
> Some people took books I have updated the page and Yuval asked if wanted
> him to give us some extra books he has. Sure, I'd be happy receiving
> them and carrying them to meetings if people wanted to borrow.
> I'll even write your name as our sponsor on the books page :-)
> So that's it I think, about 9:20 everyone left (it seems the bub thing
> does not take off for some reason) and I took Yuval and Reuen home.
> Next meeting is on December 12. Mark Veltzer: Object Oriented Perl

Looking forward to it. I talked with Mark by E-mail, IRC and Phone and was
very glad to meet him in person. Likewise for Reuven Lerner who held a lot
of mystique for me.

	Shlomi Fish