[Perl] Re: mirror sites

Yedidyah Bar-David didi at tau.ac.il
Wed Nov 6 03:51:52 PST 2002

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 09:46:26AM +0200, Oleg Kobets wrote:
> You suggesting having a perl related site without a mirror of CPAN ? :-)
>
> As far as I am concerned, Debian mirror would be nice, i386, alpha and
> sparc.
> Mandrake and RedHat are d/l at very nice speeds from official mirrors so

Does anyone here have a real problem with official Debian mirrors?
Using netselect on the list of mirrors, my sources.list now points to
ftp.tau.ac.il (which is not very complete and updated, but fastest for
me) and ftp2.it.debian.org (which was fastest in netselect), and I am
constantly having 50-60KB/s during apt-gets (with 0.5Mbit/s ADSL).
Having a local mirror is nice if you want to make CDs, but for apt
I had no problem with remote ones.

I also want to join someone (don't remember who) that we should keep
our requests to times we really need them. If someone has a real need
for a mirror, fine, if not, keep it until we need it.

> it's really not neccessary to mirror them and Slackware rarelly used (as far
> as I know, I may be wrong), also we may mirror Gentoo as it's becoming more
> stable and usefull besides being a "toy" as someone mentioned earlier on
> Linux IL.
>
> On the alternative, we may buy 160GB HDD and stick it at ISP's machine. That
> way we'll have all the space we need and it's not so expensive.
>
>  Maxtor 120GB ATA 133 5400RPM = 1051NIS (VAT included) from www.pandas.co.il

Or an IBM 120GB 7200RPM for 890 NIS (VAT included) from www.aluf.co.il.
(The price seems weird to me, but that's what their site says).