[Perl] Logo and T-shirts for perl.org.il

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Sun Nov 3 05:47:31 PST 2002

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 03:46:51PM +0200, Reuven M. Lerner wrote:
> You can read the official statements at
>
>     http://perl.oreilly.com/usage/
>     http://perl.oreilly.com/usage/faq.html
>
> Again: I'm not sure if O'Reilly is right on this issue, or if they're
> simply taking a stand.  But I don't have the time, energy, or money to
> figure out where I'm right and they're wrong, particularly when
> O'Reilly has many more lawyers and lots more money.

Well, that's pretty darn amazing. I don't know how trademark laws work,
but if the following is legally sound as well as O'Reilly's position--

OR> Q: Do you just own the particular Camel on the cover of Programming
OR> Perl, or all camels?
OR>
OR> A: We don't own any particular camel images. We own the _association_
OR> between camels (yes, all of them) and the Perl language. We know that
OR> sounds pretty sweeping, but it really has to be that way. If someone
OR> were to use a different camel on their Perl book, there would be
OR> confusion over which one "The Camel Book" referred to. That's how
OR> trademarks work, helping to protect confusion in the marketplace.
(<http://perl.oreilly.com/usage/faq.html>)

--then the law is preposterous. How can anybody own an association?

--
Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org> <g.yahas at reading.ac.uk>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/ http://gaal.forum2.org/