[Perl] Displaying Images

Reuven M. Lerner reuven at lerner.co.il
Fri Mar 15 15:20:52 PST 2002

  Georges> I want to use (print "Content-Type: image/gif\n\n";) to
  Georges> display multi-images.

It's not clear to me what you want to do:

(1) You want to create a single animated GIF -- that is, a single GIF
    file that happens to contain multiple still images, or

(2) You want to use "server push," in which the server sends a single
    HTTP response containing multiple documents (sort of like how an
    e-mail message may contain multiple attachments).

I don't know much about creating animated GIFs (or PNGs), but I know
that it's possible and shouldn't be too difficult in Perl.  It's just
a matter of finding the right module.  And indeed, Google. just helped
me to find what looks like a good reference:

    http://stein.cshl.org/~lstein/talks/perl_conference/advanced/animated.html

Server push is probably easier to deal with, but (a) it uses up lots
of bandwidth, (b) it uses a single HTTP connection more than was ever
designed to be the case, and (c) Internet Explorer doesn't support
it.  I wrote several server push systems about 6-7 years ago, and they
were all terrible.  (But the customer is always right...)

Of course, the real solution is to find an ISP that allows you to
create your own CGI programs.  But that's not always possible,  as
you've already figured out.

Reuven