[Perl] Question

Gabor Szabo gabor at tracert.com
Tue Jun 4 08:19:07 PDT 2002

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Einat Wizeman wrote:

> 	I would like to know how can I replace one string to another  in a
> file
>

> 	For example:
>
> 	Temp.c        ----->        Temp.c
>
> 	Print "Einat";               Print "Shalom";

If this is a stand-alone change (that is not part of a bigger program)
then you can use the following:

perl -i -p -e 's/Einat/Shalom/g' Temp.c

though maybe you need a more specilized pattern
perl -i -p -e 's/Print "Einat";/Print "Shalom";/g'

and if you want to create backup with a .bak extension for the
original file then use

perl -i.bak ....

and if you are on windows then you are bit out of luck as you'll
have to replace ' by " and your'll have to escape the internal "
characters by \"

see more information in perldoc perlrun

reagrds
-- Gabor