[Perl] Multilingual date

Shlomo Yona shlomo at siftology.com
Wed Feb 13 08:32:31 PST 2002

"Reuven M. Lerner" wrote:

>   Shlomo> How can set up my locales from Perl (rather than counting on
>   Shlomo> them to be set in the environment)?
>
> Use the POSIX "setlocale" subroutine, whose first argument indicates
> which part of the locale you want to set:
>
>     my @locales = qw(cs_CZ fr_FR de_DE);
>
>     use POSIX qw(LC_ALL setlocale strftime);
>
>     foreach my $locale (@locales)
>     {
>         setlocale(LC_ALL, $locale);
>         $now_string = strftime "%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Y", localtime;
>         print "Locale '$locale': '$now_string'\n";
>     }

Thanks.

The only missing thing is the formatting for strftime, it does not
change with the locale - I mean, the way date is presented in English is
not the same way to do it in Hebrew.

Can you suggets a way to read the proper formatting accirding to the
locale as well?

--
Shlomo Yona.
Software Engineer.