[Perl] URL and regular expressions

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Tue Aug 27 06:17:46 PDT 2002

Hello,

It seems that RFC 2396 has an appendix A which contains
the BNF grammar for the language which defined URLs.

It also seems that RFC 2396 has an appendix B titled
'Parsing a URI Reference with a Regular Expression'

So it seems to be possible to do a good job with regular expressions.

You might want to jump directly to appendiced A, B (and I think that
the rest are also worth a look) and if you run into trouble or need more
information - only then refer back to the RFC itself.

Good luck.

(I suspect that Gisle Aas might have already did some of this work
(if not all of it) in his LWP series of modules - check it out.

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
http://cs.haifa.ac.il/~shlomo/