[Perl] GUI + distribution

Shlomi Fish shlomif at vipe.stud.technion.ac.il
Sat Aug 24 00:13:19 PDT 2002

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Kovatch, Danny wrote:

> Two questions (again :-)
>
> 1. Can I install Perl on a customer's site
> or there is some kind of licencing involved?

There is no problem in installing Perl on a customer's site. Perl is
Open-Source and can be installed free of charge.

> 2. As I understood, Tk is the GUI in Perl.
> Since it is a different module, if I am using it,
> can I distribute it too?

Perl/Tk is open-source as well. However, it is not the only GUI API
available for Perl. There are also wxPerl and Perl/Gtk+ (which does not
run very well on Windows) and perhaps others I forgot.

> In other words, we want to install our program on many machines (Solaris,
> AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Win2k, OSF1) using Perl and its GUI,
> can we do it freely?

Sure thing.