[Perl] Creating non readable executable

Kovatch, Danny Danny_Kovatch at bmc.com
Wed Aug 21 23:39:58 PDT 2002

Thanks!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Reuven M. Lerner [mailto:reuven at lerner.co.il]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 7:01 AM
To: perl at perl.org.il
Subject: [Perl] Creating non readable executable

    Danny> Is there a way to create an executable out of a Perl script
    Danny> so no one can read my script (similar to C, there is a
    Danny> source but the customer gets the executable

You're asking two different, but related, questions:

(1) Can I create a standalone, binary version of a Perl program that
    doesn't need to be compiled from source code each time it is run?

Check the Perl FAQ:

http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.0/pod/perlfaq3.html#How-can-I-compile-my-Perl
-program-into-byte-code-or-C-

Also consider Perl2Exe, which I've never used, but which might be good
for your needs:

    http://www.indigostar.com/perl2exe.htm

(2) Can I use this facility to hide the source code for my Perl
    program?

Once again, the Perl FAQ answers this question:

http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.0/pod/perlfaq3.html#How-can-I-hide-the-source
-for-my-Perl-program-

Reuven