[Israel.pm News] Dec 2004 Meeting Report

Offer Kaye offer.kaye at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 11:32:45 PST 2004

Hi all,
Below is the meeting report for the last meeting - it has also been
updated on the meeting page.
I'd like to thank Ran Eilam, who volunteered to write several of the
last meeting reports - as you can see below, his engaging and clear
style make the report fun and interesting to read.

Ran is retiring as Official Meeting Summarizer, so I'd also like to
take this opportunity to ask one of the regulars to step in as Meeting
Summarizer, so I won't have to. As more than one person has told me in
private, my writing style leaves a lot to be desired ;-)

Now, without further adieu, here is the report:

Report

   1. Alon Levi
   2. Arik Manor
   3. Gabor Szabo
   4. Guez Herve'
   5. Jason Friedman
   6. Kfir Lavi
   7. Lilia Kessler
   8. Mikhael Goikhman
   9. Oded S. Resnik
  10. Offer Kaye
  11. Ran Eilam
  12. Sagiv Barhoom
  13. Shaul Karl
  14. Shimi Roi
  15. Thomas Maier
  16. Uri Bruck
  17. Yuval Yaari

Welcome the the December 2004 Israeli Perl Mongers meeting summary. We
report. You decide.

Attendance was rather high. Several new people popped up, but some
regulars were dearly missed. The new people were warmly welcomed, at
least by those of us that realize that we have to welcome new mongers.
And that it is fun.

Burekas were excellent. The shoppers did a great job! I must join the
shopping party more often.

The talks, and the combination of talks, were some of the best we have
heard in a long time.

Offer Kaye started with a delightful little syntax highlighting talk.
Going over ALL the options, we learned how to view, and how to save
syntax colored Perl. Ease of styling for various HTML solutions was
also discussed. Techniques he demonstrated were later used by Shlomo
in his talk.

I hope in the future we hear about the limits of coloring Perl code.
In my VIM there are quite a few.

Then Uri Bruck talked about his favorite subjects: Perl and natural
language. He showed linguistic ideas in Perl, from context sensitivity
to DWIM. We need more talks on the linguistic theme. The pace was
great, and there was the right combination of abstract ideas vs.
concrete examples. And comparisons of examples between Perl and
natural languages. As usual in such talks, there was much confusion
about linguistic terminology among the audience.

Finally Shlomo Yona talked about Automatic Classification. Despite him
talking about only ONE neuron, all billions (I hope) of my neurons
were running fast trying to keep up. He went from the general problem,
to how he aced a course by applying a very simple Perl solution. He
showed code, math, and diagrams. There was a mix of CompSci talk, and
hacker experience report. It was fun. At least the parts where my
mental running shoes did not fail me.

For the social, we went to the coffee house AGAIN. I guess they
provide a reasonable environment, if a little pricey. At my table
there was talk of prototyping, bringing in new ideas to an
organization, and much more. Other tables (there were 3 tables) seemed
to exhibit lively conversation as well. The table is the basic social
organizational unit of the PM social event.

See you next time.

This meeting summery was written by Ran Eilam.