[Jerusalem.pm] [Israel.pm] Perl in Hebrew and other languages

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Sep 22 05:55:17 PDT 2009

Hi Gabor!

Thanks for your effort.

On Tuesday 22 Sep 2009 11:36:30 Gabor Szabo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to collect Perl related resources in various languages.
> http://szabgab.com/blog/2009/09/1253599111.html

There are some localised Perl resources on http://perl-begin.org/ :

http://perl-begin.org/tutorials/localized/ (currently only Shmuel's tutorial
and a French one).

http://perl-begin.org/articles/ (some articles by the French Perl mongers).

There are also some localised wikis I'm aware of:

http://perl.net.au/wiki/List_of_all_known_Perl_Wikis

Maybe there is some other stuff. I originally asked Simon Cozens about
translating his online "Beginning Perl" book to Hebrew (or any other
language). He told me that its licence was unclear (as it was published by a
publisher that went out of business), but that he wanted to make it one of the
Creative Commons licences (forgot which one). The first edition is online on:

http://www.perl.org/books/beginning-perl/

But its licence is not specified and it's only available as PDFs - not as its
original sources (DocBook, LaTeX, MS Word , ODT or whatever). As such
translating it may not be allowed.

I once asked the author of the HTML Dog tutorials ( http://www.htmldog.com/ )
which are available online free-of-charge if they will allow me to translate
them to Hebrew, and they said that they'd rather that I didn't. It felt bad,
and I could relate to what RMS said that someone told him "you cannot have
[the source code of the printer driver]".

As a result, I started working on my own HTML tutorial in Hebrew that is
written from scratch and is 100% Public Domain, but I've been making slow
progress due to technical problems and negligence. You can find it what I have
so far here:

http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/web-cpan/doc-Hebrew-HTML-Tutorial/

> I started to put together a page on the TPF wiki with
> International Perl Resource:
> http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi?international_perl_resources

I'll add the resources I know about when I'm in the mood.

> and as an example separated out a page regarding Hebrew:
> http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi?hebrew
>

> Unfortunately it is still low on content.
> If you could help adding some more *Hebrew* content to that page
> that would be of great help.

OK, I'll see what I can find.