[Jerusalem.pm] OSDC Israel 2009 - Call for organizers

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 02:34:10 PDT 2008

As you might have noticed after the successful OSDC in 2006
I got so busy with work that in 2007 I could only organize a one day
Perl Workshop right in the last minute. This year seem to pass without a
conference but in the beginning of 2009 I'd like to have another
OSDC in Israel.

If you happened to forget or never heard about it then OSDC stands for
Open Source Developers' Conference. It originates from Australia just as
the kangaroo and the koala bear.

In Israel it was the natural enlargement of the YAPCs
(Yet Another Perl Conferences) that were held since 2003.

In the previous OSDC in 2006 there were about 200 visitors
including Larry Wall, developer of Perl and Audrey Tang,
developer of Pugs.
They could select from about
47.3% of Perl talks as the Perl community had been quite
          organized in the previous years already
33.1% of Python talks as they just started to meet before the
          conference
2 Ruby and
0 PHP presentations.

Since then the Perl community got more silent.
The Python mailing list and meetings have faded away.
The Ruby developers had a few meetings but then declared their
  mailing list to be dead just to have a surge of messages.
The PHP community while hardly has any messages on the mailing list
have monthly meetings in Zend.

So things have changed in the Israeli Open Source communities.

In order to make this conference successful I need several people to
help in the organization. I have started to list the needs for organizers
on the web conference web page on http://act.osdc.org.il/ .
The details are being formed on
http://act.osdc.org.il/osdc2009il/organizers.html

In all the previous conferences people told me that being involved in
the organization made the conference much more enjoyable.
So if you want to enjoy the next conference and if you'd like to shape it
to your taste then come and help organizing it.
(Did that sound like only the organizers will enjoy it? ;-)

regards

Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/blog.html
Perl Training in Israel http://www.pti.co.il/
Test Automation Tips http://szabgab.com/test_automation_tips.html