[Jerusalem.pm] Excel and Hebrew - Followup on Motke's lecture

Issac Goldstand margol at beamartyr.net
Sun May 23 13:43:31 PDT 2004

I actually was pleasantly surprised when I got home - someone had just asked
me to automate something in Excel; the perfect way to apply what we learned
in Motke's talk!  However, the data was in hebrew, and I simply couldn't
force it into Excel :(

The manpage for Spreadsheet::WriteExcel suggested using Unicode::MapUTF8 to
map from UTF8 to a windows-based character set (apparantly Excel expects
ANSI data only and chokes on UTF8 data).  Unfortunately, I couldn't coerce
the data in (I tried ISO-8859-8 and WinHebrew codepages, playing with fonts,
etc).

(Now that I consider it, I had the same problem with Access when I had a big
database of addresses and I wanted to print labels and envelopes and cards
and stuff - I think it's just Win32 stupidity ;))

But it was great fun playing with the formats and everything else in
English - Thanks, Motke!

  Yitzchak